Friday, August 11, 2006

Excuse me, Allah.

It's two a.m. in the morning and I can not sleep after marathon news watching. British intelligence foils a terrorist plot to blow up planes flying from the U.K. to the U.S. Now innocent travelers live in fear and mothers are requested by airport security to sip their baby's formula before boarding to prove it contains no explosive agents.

I am so angry at the situation in the Middle East; so alarmed by the idea that people there want us dead. How do you deal with people who believe Allah is on their side to annihilate "the infidels?" How do you negotiate for peace? My response is to want to wipe them away, destroy them before they destroy us. Maybe it's my American sense of entitlement that demands I should live in hard-earned peace and prosperity. Who are these terrorists who want to kill us?

It's surreal to me to be juggling these thoughts in my head while simultaneously living days filled with light-hearted behavior. I take my nieces ice-skating, order pizza, walk the dog, visit with friends, buy hats. Who wants to take that happiness from me? Something in me defiantly says, Just try to mess with me. Bring it."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli. You know how I feel about these people. I actually do wish we'd "wipe them away". That's just me, though.

Alan

Henry Chinaski said...

Have you ever been in the middle east? The place is a mess and there is no way to fix it.