Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Whale watching


We took the boat out on a search for whales yesterday. Between Coronado and Carmen Island we encountered a pod of what I believe was fin whales. There may have been five or more; it's hard to get a correct count when they don't all emerge together! I'm sure they weren't blue whales which are much larger and thicker. These whales didn't seem to mind our presence, though they weren't the least bit interested in us like gray whales can be.
The one photograph I captured of a whale's head was overexposed, so I've converted it to b/w to see better. Maybe someone who's certain about the identification can confirm or correct my guess of fin whale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are correct, that is a fin whale :) We were lucky last year to see fin and blue whales together, it was amazing! Our guide had never seen that before! Great shots!